International Council of Museums
Committee for Museums and Collections of Natural History
Annual General Meeting Minutes
10 June, Wednesday, 12 p.m, GMT+0
SPNHC-ICOM NATHIST 2020 Virtual Meeting
Video recording https://youtu.be/jzJXwXdBEag
Pursuant to proper notice, the Annual General Meeting for the International Committee for Museums and Collections of Natural History of the International Council of Museums (ICOM NATHIST) was held on June 10, 2020 in the form of a virtual meeting at SPNHC-ICOM NATHIST 2020 Virtual Meeting.
Chair- Dorit Wolenitz
Minutes- Phaedra Fang
Panelists (in alphabetical order)- Breda Cinc Juhant, Christel Schollaardt, Dacha Atienza, Jesse Rodriguez, Lynda Knowles, Atsushi Yabe.
Helpers(SPNHC)- Andy Bentley, Talia Karim
Attendees: 55 members
- Vote for the Agenda [15 Yes, 0 No, 0 Abstain]
- Vote for the Chair [7 Yes, 0 No, 0 Abstain]
- Financial Report
- 2019 Report
- The President’s Report
- The Secretary’s Report
- Launch of the new website
- Call for COVID19 measures
- Call for contents
- NATHIST 2021 Conference: Slovenia
- Earth Day 2020
- Museum New Definition
- Platform 2022
- Call for Citizen Science Projects on Urban Ecosystems
10 June, Wednesday, 13:15 p.m, GMT+0
- Financial Report [13 Yes, 0 No, 1 Abstain]
- 2021 proposal to be discussed by the end of this year.
2. 2019 Report & The President’s Report [16 approvals, 0 against]
- NATHIST conference at ICOM 2019 Kyoto
- Christel’s work on the new website project and social media management
- Earth Day 2020 Toolkit : To be postponed to 2021; call for suggestions.
- NATHIST’s working group: Anthropocene Working Group hosted by Dr. Nicolas Kramar will have a symposium on 12 June; new working group for the code of ethics to be established by 2022.
- The organizing team for the SPNHC-ICOM NATHIST 2020 Virtual Meeting.
- COVID19 bring impact on the museum community. Experience concerning the reopening of museums will be posted on the website.
- Museum New Definition: Voting to be postponed to 2020; discussion on NATHIST’s proposed definition draft occurred during the working group meeting on 8 June; Survey on the feedback of the new definition or the current draft is still open. The current draft will be posted on the website. Any comments are welcome.
- Introduction of the board 2019-2022
- Secretary’s Report [15 approvals, 0 against]
- Individual members for 2019: 336
- Institution members for 2019: 27
- Over half from European and North American countries. Reducing number in institutional members. Need more outreach towards Asian and African region, and institutional members.
- Launch of the new website
- Clean neat and easy-to-read design. Undertaking by Christel’s team.
- Call for content.
- COVID 19 prevention measures to be shared on the new website.
- NATHIST 2021 Conference Proposal by Breda
- Venue: Prirodoslovni muzej Slovenije (Slovenia Museum of Natural History), Ljubljana, SLOVENIA
- Date: 12 – 16 September, 2021
- Proposed theme: “The oldest natural history collections as a challenge of research and public programs (to be confirmed)”
6. Platform 2022：Call for Citizen Science Projects on Urban Ecosystems. More announcements will be posted on the website.
7. Guideline for museums’ reopening and COVID19 prevention measures
Example from National Taiwan Museum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtQ4Yi6FVVM
More proposed guidelines:
- Special recognition to SPNHC virtual meeting organizing team and NATHIST board. Encouragements for NATHIST members to advertise the virtual meeting and the uploaded conference video on SPNHC Youtube via social media posts (#spnhc2020 #icomnathist2020).
WHEREUPON, there being no further business, the Annual General Meeting was adjourned.
Minutes prepared by Phaedra Hui-shih FANG, ICOM NATHIST Secretary, this 14th day of July 2020.